Giving old hubs a new breath of life - Part 3

Continuing from my last post...

After some riding, the cassette is holding up well with no slipping, the gear range of the 13-26 cassette is more useful than the old 14-28 from before.  The only observation I have made is that the 13t track sprocket/locking is difficult to shift up from.  The track sprocket has teeth that are shaped to retain the chain at all times, not to allow easy shifting.  The original uniglide sprockets, although they didn't have ramps like modern sprockets have beveled and angled teeth to allow easy chain movement.  I might see if I can track down a uniglide 13t top sprocket or file the teeth of the track sprocket down a bit to match.

A hyperglide sprocket on top of a track sprocket - you can see the difference in tooth profile
The tooth profile is also more pointed compared to the square profiled track cog
I've also switched to a 9sp chain as well, the 8sp was requiring too much trimming and was too noisy.  With the 9sp chain on it now, it's dead quiet and shifts a lot better without any trimming.  Supposedly 9sp is about the limit you can easily friction shift with, I find it quite easy - similar to running a 7sp cassette with a 5/6/7sp chain.  I would guess maybe even 10sp is ok with a bit of practice.

  The only problem left to deal with now is profiling the track sprocket so it's easier to shift, I already gave it a go with a file but the steel is pretty hard so might give it a go with a big file or worse yet the angle grinder :)  That's all for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment